Labels

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Shout it from the Rooftops!

 
So, as you know, Stirling is a diver.  He competed, made it to State, and placed 4th.  I was amazed at how much I was excited about this, for him.  It was something he had worked for very hard.  As a mother I wanted him to accomplish his goals.  I wanted him to "pluck the fruits of his labors".  It was SO great when he did!  I just felt so excited I wanted to shout it from the rooftops!  Seriously, I felt like everyone I talked to I wanted to say, "My son placed 4th in state!".
 
Taco Bell Drive thru?  "Can I take your order?"
Me- "Yes, did you know my son placed 4th in state?".
(LOL!  That didn't really happen, but SERIOUSLY, that is how I felt!  I wanted to tell the world!) 
 
I have had other moments like that with my children...  where I wanted to tell the world about their victories.  Many of those moments are the amazing, everyone can see, moments.  Camden getting married.  Having a grandson.  Payne getting a job.  Liam playing the cello and being first chair.  Good grades, birthdays, baptisms, accomplishments, milestones that are publicly marked.
 
Some of those moments are private though... and maybe something they didn't even knew I was celebrating.  The first time they showed a love for Jesus Christ.  When they served noticed someone in need, and unselfishly served them.  When they bore testimony.  When they hugged me spontaneously.  (okay - I know that happens when they were little ALL THE TIME.... I remember thinking some days that I didn't want someone to touch me anymore!... but now?  I miss it.  Teenagers don't hug as often!). There are those times that only a parent notices... when they are working to overcome something and they do.  Even the dumb, kind of funny things like when they shower on their own, and I don't have to beg them!  (those of you with pre-teen kids will understand!)
 
This got me to thinking, why don't we "shout from the rooftops" a little more often?  I drive a school bus.  I have 2 routes, one that is 5th thru 8th grade, and one that is Kindergarten thru 4th grade.  Kindergarteners crack me up!  They get on the bus and always are SO excited about pretty much anything that happens to them.  This is a typical exchange, every day:
 
Me:  Good morning, Clara.
Clara:  Good morning, Miss Stephanie!  LOOK, I have a loose tooth! (or I lost a tooth!, or I have a birthday coming up! or My Grandma is coming to visit! or Today I have a playdate with a friend! or I got new shoes! or It snowed! or I stayed on green today! or It is warm! .... and on and on and on.)
 
I admit, sometimes I am frustrated with it.  Could you just get on the bus so I can get you to school?!?!  But recently, I have recognized these are those shout it from the rooftop kind of moments.  They have a TON of them!  They want everyone to know!  Why do we fall away from that so much? 
 
Don't get me wrong, I know that life is hard.  I know there are many sorrows and sadness and heartache.  Not only have I had my own... I have witnessed my children's difficult times.  I know heartbreak as well as the next guy.  For example, I didn't say in the road to state post, but the Wednesday before the State meet Stirling hit the board in practice.  With his head. Hard.  I am not sure how he did not hurt his head worse and need stitches.  (I believe angels were watching over him). I was also running a fever that day... and REALLY sick.  It was a bleak day. 
 
But then we had the amazing thing happen!  The SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS moment!  It was easy to forget the bad at that moment... actually I don't think we forgot it, I think it was sweeter because of the bad moment.
 
Life is like this, right?  There is lot of bad stuff... but there is SO MUCH GOOD stuff!  Those personal victories. (Getting the laundry done, folded and put away! Helping someone feel loved! Making dinner! Having fruit instead of a candy bar! Making someone smile! Exercising! Not yelling at the kids when you felt like it! Dancing in the kitchen! Getting a good grade! Harvesting the garden! and so on and so on!)  Those things that are amazing... EVEN if it is just to you!  I want to be more like those kindergarten kids.  I want to find joy and amazingness (yes I know I just made up a word) in even the small things. Share it with me and I will celebrate with you!   Let's do it together... Let's SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!

1 comment:

  1. You are completely right. We need to focus more on those shout it from the rooftops moments! What a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete