Labels

Monday, February 17, 2014

Driving in snow

Today I drove about 2 hours north to look at houses with my daughter.  (then we drove another hour to the town where we looked at houses - good thing Will is such a good baby!)  We didn't find anything promising, which was sad, but we had a good time!  I knew when I left that there was a winter storm warning for this afternoon, but I felt like it would be fine and that I should still go as planned.
 
When I woke up before I got in the shower I was checking twitter posts and there was a tweet from the LDS church which said, "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear".  (Side note:  I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - or LDS church - or Mormons.  I like to subscribe to them on twitter) It got me thinking that I should be prepared for anything.  So I threw a few extra bottles of water in the car, a heavier winter coat, thick gloves, and a hat, oh!  and a granola bar and blanket.  Just in case. 
 
The drive up was fabulous.  BLASTING my favorite music ("Happy" by Pharell is one of my MOST favorites!... how can you listen to that song and NOT be happy?!?!) It was good for the soul.  Seriously.  I loved being by myself just to think.  The roads were clear, I could go a comfortable speed (somewhat over the speed limit) and cruise all the way up there.  It was super fun!
 
We didn't have too much success with houses.  She needs a new realtor.  (which they are finding) But it is ALWAYS fun to be with Will.  I love to snuggle him and kiss him.  He smiles SO big when you get him out of the carseat.  He cries when you put him back, so I made Camden do that. (Who wants to be the mean guy?  Not this grandma!) We ate lunch at this super cute place in downtown Nappanee... a local place. The food was fabulous and the prices were better. 
 
We got back to Christian's parents, no snow.  15 minutes later lots of snow- blowing hard snow.  I didn't hang out too long so that I could get on the road.  I knew it would be slow going and I wanted to get home.  Little did I know... it was WHITE OUT conditions after about 10 minutes.  It kind of scared me.  I was saying prayers in my head as I drove that I would be able to stay on the road because it was super hard to see anything but white.  It was strange, bright.  I felt like I was looking into the sun because it was so bright, but it was all so white.  I soon noticed there was a car behind me, and it just stayed a safe distance behind slowing down and such as I did.  I think we were going 35, sometimes 30 on the highway!  Somehow that car made me feel so much better once I noticed it.  I was no longer alone.  I kept talking to the car... "we are in this together, so we can make it"
 
Then I decided I would put on hymns and my "remember music".  (it helps me remember what is important.  Hilary Weeks, Mercy River, Kenneth Cope, Voice Male, Cheri Call... to name a few). I LOVE music.  ALL music... I really think it can soothe the soul.  Anyway, I sang along to the hymns and begin to repeat to myself, "Slow and steady will get you home".  SLOW AND STEADY.
 
Soon I began to think about how this relates to life. So often we hear "endure to the end".  We feel like this is a "grit your teeth" and "grin and bear it" kind of thing.  I don't think so.  We read in 2Nephi in the Book of Mormon that "men are that they might have joy".  We should have joy.  I thought about how my drive up and my drive back relate to my life.  Sometimes it is smooth sailing!  I get to think my own thoughts, sing loud to my favorite music, drive faster than I should.  Careening through life.  It is easy to feel joy then!
 
Then a storm comes.  I HAVE to slow down.   I can no longer go faster than I should.  If I try to it is dangerous, and could take me longer to get where I am going.  The storm definitely makes it harder to feel joy.  It is even easy to forget how good the road was just hours before.  Sometimes I feel alone, but then, as I pray I feel strength.  Whether it is a car behind me... a friend that lifts me ("we are in this together, so we can make it"), or even added strength to do what I need to do...   To drive to my destination.  I am reminded that I can listen to hymns (be uplifted) and know that I as I am strengthened I can have peace and joy.  JOY... even in the storm, singing my heart out.    I knew I would get to my destination okay. I was not afraid.  I had peace.... and I can have that kind of peace through the storms of life.  SLOW AND STEADY.  :).
 
It was a good thought for me.  I took some pictures as I got into Noblesville.... it was coming down so big and fluffy.  -- Don't worry!  I was at a stoplight both times!  I did get home, obviously. We will all get HOME someday too.  Remember, slow and steady... and you are not alone.  Ever. ("We are in this together...")
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment